Louis B. Kupperman is a Partner and Head of the Litigation Department in the Firm. A Best Lawyers in America® awardee and inductee into the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers®, Mr. Kupperman is the former Chair of the Real Estate Litigation Subcommittee of the Real Property Section of the Philadelphia Bar Association and has over thirty years of experience in complex federal and state court civil trial and appellate litigation, corporate and business law, real estate development, project finance, civil rights and constitutional law, contracts, and regulatory and administrative law. Prior to joining Buckley, Brion, McGuire & Morris LLP, Mr. Kupperman was a senior partner at Obermayer Rebmann Maxwell & Hippel LLP in Philadelphia, and a partner at Dilworth, Paxson, Kalish, Levy & Kauffman, also in Philadelphia.
Mr. Kupperman regularly represents and counsels individuals, corporations, partnerships, and public entities in business disputes, catastrophic injury cases, RICO litigation, environmental and eminent domain proceedings, and contract disputes.
Mr. Kupperman has served as lead trial and regulatory counsel for numerous national and regional companies and some of the Commonwealth’s largest municipalities in environmental enforcement litigation and administrative proceedings.
• Successfully represented numerous individuals, businesses, and public entities in civil trial and appellate litigations before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, the Pennsylvania Superior Court, the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court, and the Courts of Common Pleas of Berks, Bucks, Chester, Dauphin, Delaware, Lancaster, Montgomery, Philadelphia, and Schuylkill Counties.
• Successfully defended individuals and companies in federal court civil RICO litigations.
• Successfully prosecuted civil rights litigations on behalf of property owners wrongfully deprived of the use and enjoyment of their properties.
• Obtained numerous Section 1983 litigation settlements in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
• Successfully defended against and defeated multiple Petitions for Writs of Certiorari before the Supreme Court of the United States.
• Successfully tried numerous injury cases for Plaintiffs and shareholder and partnership disputes.
• Has successfully secured numerous grants of King’s Bench jurisdiction from the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
• Negotiated the largest host municipality agreement ($350 million) in Pennsylvania history.
• Structured over $1.3 billion in project finance for national companies engaged in the waste-to-energy and co-generation industries.
• Represents the County of Chester as Special First Amendment Counsel (Pro Bono Publico)
• Represents the Chester County Department of Children, Youth & Families as Solicitor
• Represents the Chester County Sheriff’s Office as Assistant Solicitor (Pro Bono Publico)
Areas of Practice
• Civil Litigation
• Appellate Litigation
• Business Litigation
• Contract Law
• Corporate Law
• Environmental Law
• Estate and Trust Litigation
• Juvenile Law
• Land Use
• Real Estate
• RICO Litigation
• Shareholder Disputes
• Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
• Supreme Court of the United States
• United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
• United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
• United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
• Brooklyn Law School, J.D., 1975
• Fairleigh Dickinson University, B.S., 1972
Professional Achievements & Honors
• Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent Judicial and Peer Review Rating (highest) in Legal Ability Standards™
• Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers®
• Best Lawyers in America®
• Who’s Who in America®
• Who’s Who in American Law®
• Who’s Who in the World®
• Chester County Chamber of Business & Industry, Member of the Board, 2010-present
• Chester County Economic Development Authority, Member of the Board, 2011-present
• Chester County Industrial Development Authority, Chairman of the Board, 2012-present; Member of the Board, 2010-2012
• Delaware Valley Regional Finance Authority, Member of the Board (2015)
• Southeastern Economic Development Company of Pennsylvania, Member of the Board, 2011-present