LOUIS B. KUPPERMAN
Louis B. Kupperman is a Partner and Head of the Litigation Department in the Firm. A Best Lawyers in America® awardee and inductee into the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers®, Mr. Kupperman is the former Chair of the Real Estate Litigation Subcommittee of the Real Property Section of the Philadelphia Bar Association and has over thirty years of experience in complex federal and state court civil trial and appellate litigation, corporate and business law, real estate litigation and development, project finance, civil rights and constitutional law, contracts, construction law, and regulatory and administrative law. Prior to joining Buckley, Brion, McGuire & Morris LLP, Mr. Kupperman was a senior partner at Obermayer Rebmann Maxwell & Hippel LLP in Philadelphia, and a partner at Dilworth, Paxson, Kalish, Levy & Kauffman, also in Philadelphia.
Mr. Kupperman regularly represents and counsels individuals, corporations, partnerships, and public entities in business disputes, land use and zoning matters, catastrophic injury cases, RICO litigation, environmental and eminent domain proceedings, civil litigation, contract disputes, and construction litigation.
Mr. Kupperman has served as lead trial and regulatory counsel for numerous national and regional companies and some of the Commonwealth’s largest municipalities in zoning and land use cases, environmental enforcement litigation, and administrative proceedings. He is also a recognized mediator, and third-party neutral, in business and contract disputes, construction cases, and commercial litigation matters.
• Successfully represented numerous individuals, businesses, and public entities in civil trial and appellate litigation before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, the Pennsylvania Superior Court, the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court, the Courts of Common Pleas of Berks, Bucks, Chester, Dauphin, Delaware, Lancaster, Montgomery, Philadelphia, and Schuylkill Counties, the United States District Courts for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court.
• Successfully defended individuals and companies in federal court civil RICO litigation.
• Successfully prosecuted civil rights litigation on behalf of property owners wrongfully deprived of the use and enjoyment of their properties.
• Obtained numerous Section 1983 litigation settlements in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
• Successfully defended against and defeated multiple Petitions for Writs of Certiorari before the Supreme Court of the United States.
• Successfully tried numerous injury cases for Plaintiffs and shareholder and partnership disputes.
• Successfully secured numerous grants of King’s Bench jurisdiction from the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
• Negotiated the largest host municipality agreement ($350 million) in Pennsylvania history.
• Structured over $1.3 billion in project finance for national companies engaged in the waste-to-energy and co-generation industries.
• Represents the County of Chester as Special First Amendment Counsel (Pro Bono Publico)
• Represents the Chester County Department of Children, Youth & Families as Solicitor
Areas of Practice
• Appellate Litigation
• Business Litigation
• Complex Commercial Litigation
• Construction Litigation
• Contract Law
• Corporate Law
• Environmental Law
• Estate and Trust Litigation
• Juvenile Law
• Land Use
• Real Estate
• RICO Litigation
• Shareholder Disputes
• Zoning and Land Use
• Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
• Supreme Court of the United States
• United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
• United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
• United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
• Brooklyn Law School, J.D., 1975
• Fairleigh Dickinson University, B.S., 1972
Professional Achievements & Honors
• Member, Merit Selection Panel for Reappointment of Magistrate Judge Carol Sandra Moore Wells, United States
District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2020
• Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent Judicial and Peer Review Rating (highest) in Legal Ability Standards™
• Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers®
• Best Lawyers in America®
• Who’s Who in America®
• Who’s Who in American Law®
• Who’s Who in the World®
• Chair, Federal Court Section, Chester County Bar Association, 2019-present
• Chester County Chamber of Business & Industry, Member of the Board, 2010-present
• Chester County Economic Development Authority, Member of the Board, 2011-present
• Chester County Industrial Development Authority, Chairman of the Board, 2012-present; Member of the Board, 2010-2012
• Delaware Valley Regional Finance Authority, Member of the Board (2015)
• Southeastern Economic Development Company of Pennsylvania, Member of the Board, 2011-present